Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Beginning

After two years pulling shots and steaming milk I still feel like an enthusiastic beginner. I didn't think that I would fall in love with the coffee world when my friend suggested that I work with her at a tiny local coffee shop. It was convenient, so I followed up. I got the job despite the fact that I had no experience and didn't know why anyone would water down espresso to make an americano. Now I have fallen irreparably under the spell of the coffee bean and all its derivatives. I still drink my coffee black and unsweetened, but now I roast it at home in a popcorn popper.

As I mentioned before, the coffee shop where I work is tiny. In fact, I am fairly certain that you know someone with a larger walk-in closet. Mostly I like the close quarters, but the 15 minute shift change can get a little claustrophobic. Luckily we work our shifts alone, and my only companion is our two-group espresso machine and the other appliances. Of course, if I get bored or lonely there are always the cast of characters that we call regulars. I may not know their names, but when they walk in the door their usual is already half finished.

When not at work or exploring some other cafe or coffee shop, I spend my time researching both practical and trivial coffee knowledge. I buy books, read forums and watch latte art tutorials. Sometimes I just sit, and wonder how I every survived before I was aware of the species of coffee Coffea excelsa which is closely related to Coffea liberica.

So, to conclude, I leave you with this fun filled caffeine fact: caffeine acts as a natural pesticide, paralyzing and killing insects that eat the plants that produce it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Hit Counter